So 12 hours, 7 interstates, and two drives by Mr K's house, we finally made it. In a funny coincidence, the Jasons were both wearing red t-shirts and black shorts, and Meli & I were wearing yellow t-shirts and dark pants. We meant to take pictures, but once we started working, we forgot. Plus there was some bad juju that briefly marred the day, followed by the worst mojitos known to mankind (now know as badjitos).
I'll admit it. Jason was not running a slave labor camp. But all of us did work hard everyday. And partied hard every night! I helped a lot with food prep, cutting all kinds of fruit. I had the lemons, limes, and strawberries under control. Thanks to Kate I now know how to cut up the different kinds of melons, too.
Friday, the Jasons, Meli & I went on a tour of the Yuengling Brewery. It was very interesting, hot, and smelly. I highly recommend the tour. Can't recommend the tasting though. I guess I really don't like beer.
By Saturday, I reached my breaking point. From the time that we got there Thursday until my break, I hadn't been by myself at all except to use the loo. That doesn't work for me. I need some, okay, a lot of alone time. I can handle all the closeness for a day or two, but I ignore that fact sometimes and get myself into a cranky pickle. So after many hours of togetherness, physical labor, little sleep, hot & humid weather, the bad juju from Thursday, and a visit from Aunt Flo.......Jason had to take me for a little drive to get away for an hour or so. I had a little cry. I ate some salty fries from McDonalds and slurped down an ice-cold diet Coke. I still wasn't feeling better, though. When we got back, Barb was there, and my mood lifted. For some reason, having a little cry in the arms of a mom is the most comforting thing in the world. Then it was time for swimming. By the time the party started, I was almost back to my usual chipper self.
Getting to hang out with my other college roommate whom I hadn't seen in eight years, that made me happy again. I got to meet her new husband; he's hilarious! Then the jello shots came out......
After dark, there was more swimming and a really difficult game of keep-away in the dark. I'm surprised nobody was injured! I wish there were some swimming pics, but there are none. I still haven't taken my pics off my camera, but you can check Meli's out at her Kodak site. I'll let you know when I put mine on.
Well, this wasn't the blog I had hope to write, and it's way shorter than the wedding blog, but I think this hasn't been too bad since I've got a bad case of writer's block. Grr.
Oh yeah. Thanks to the badjitos, there were many discussions about where to get the best mojitos or how to make the best mojitos. I swear the best mojito is the first one I ever had. On the roof of the hotel where Hemingway use to go in Havana. So here's the pic of me happy after drinking it....(It's okay; you can hate me for a minute. Ha ha!)
5 comments:
I'm sorry that I didn't get to talk to you more on Sat...thank you for the hug...
You didn't explain the title of the blog though! Good thing I was there and remember, because it makes me laugh so hard I almost cry! I so glad you decided to stay though lil Sis. I'll have to remember your alone time necessity come NYE. We'll have to find you a private room or something that's just all yours.....stocked with beef jerky and knitting supplies...
Awwww that's just what Mom's do for people they love. Meli chose her friends well.
Oh I forgot to comment on your mojito picture:
bitch
there :)
It sounds like the Killian wedding Take Two was a great success. Wish we could have been there. I totally understand your need for alone time. This is an issue every time Benny and I go home to visit our families and I have no space for 6 days straight. It usually ends with me crying on Benny's shoulder and him being surprised by my reaction. Men.
I'm green with envy over that Havana story.
Post a Comment