Sunday, May 18, 2008

Where's Your Camouflage Kilt?

Last weekend Mom, Jeanne & I went to the Kentucky Scottish Festival in Carrolton. It was a chilly day, started out at about 52 degrees. I love the festivals because you never know what you will see.
Like this guy.



After four hours of festival, we headed a little bit north, a little bit west, and across the Ohio River to Madison, IN. I bought some more self-striping sock yarn before I remembered that I'm on a yarn diet. (Some people, like the man I married, consider my yarn stash out of control. It is perfectly contolled. It's only taken over 6 rooms.....)

In Madison, we went to a sweet shop/yarn shop (where I didn't buy more yarn, but did buy candy). It's owned by a man, who is retired Navy, and his wife, who was in the Navy for 10 years. I love this guy! He was crocheting a sweater when we walked into the shop. He also knits and tats. He showed Mom and me how to needle tat. It looks a lot easier than shuttle tatting.




I finished a pair of socks this past week. I turned the heel and finished the gusset decrease during lunch the other day at work. I posed the sock with my cube gnome, Dale.



I decided to give the socks to Jason, but I think he will only wear them at home. Sure, I admit that they aren't very manly looking, but how many of his coworkers get handknit socks from their wives? Zip. Nada. None.



Last night we went to Lexington for an Armed Forces Day dinner. We sat at a table with some Army Reserve soldiers. They were all very nice, and I adopted one of them, S, as a sister. She's from Texas and doesn't have any family up here and came to dinner alone. My parents sat with my newest "brother." Lester is from Texas, too. For some reason he insists on calling it God's country. But everyone knows that God's country is Kentucky...

Here are some pics from last night.





Sadly there were no camouflage kilts last night.......

1 comment:

Meli said...

ok so what the heck is a "tat"? crazy knitters....

you look a little tipsy in those dinner pictures missy....

Ben says hi! he is helping me with the invitations

that kilt picture ROCKS! did he have a mullet? that would have been perfect if he did!

the socks are adorable, Jason should be proud to wear them. I mean, he's already married, so who cares if people think he's a little light in the loafers