Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Accidental Farmer

One day I noticed a weed growing at the corner of our house. I never said anything to Jason about it because I'm the anti-neighbor and was amused by the thought of such a huge weed growing in my yard. Would someone say something to me about it?Yesterday, Jason informed me that it's not a weed; it's corn. We have two ears growing. I thought that was pretty cool and had visions of eating homegrown corn tonight at dinner.
I went out after work to take these pictures and discovered that not only are the ears size-challenged, the whole plant is covered in fire ants. I'm allergic to fire ants.

We'll be eating pizza tonight.

Sad note- One of my favorite voices has been silenced. Don LaFontaine died yesterday. His IMDB says that he did the voice overs on 3,500 films but this article puts the number closer to 5,000. Wow! Movie trailers just won't be the same without him.

3 comments:

Just Another Mother said...

In a land where the fire ant roams......... - two ears of corn would have been perfect. I've never tasted a fire ant, but I bet I would be allergic too. Maybe next time you can get some organic ant killer,spray, whatever.

Meli said...

Nooo not movie trailer guy too! What a bummer. Kentucky sure is a strange place, if you have corn growing as weeds! ;) I'd trade my monster hostas for some corn, minus the fire ants of course.

Gloria Ives said...

Maybe next year, you'll have an accidental sunflower sprout, that is, if you accidentally drop some seeds...
Who knows?
We had an accidetal Pumpkin Sprout once in the marsh behind our Yard. We have an old Wagon that sits on the corner of our Yard which we stack with Hay bales, and, um pumpkins in the fall, and ya know what?
We got all of a sudden, a big beautiful Orange Flower on a long and tangled Vine, and Well, You can guess the rest...