Friday, January 2, 2009

Vampire Memur

We are currently in Davis, WV on a weekend trip with friends. We're actually staying in a community called Dry Forks, but (egads!) there is no cell phone service in the area. So no phones, no internet. We had to come into town so Jason could make sure his work projects are okay, and I decided I should go ahead and tell you, or warn you, about vampire memurs.

There's a rodent problem at the cabin. Yesterday morning, Meli took some bread off of the fridge, and it had been violated by one of the critters. Nice. So last night, Other Jason set a mouse trap on the ledge above the fridge before we sat down to a dinner of pork & sauerkraut (thanks, Bob!). After dinner the trap went off. Jason got on a chair to check it out, and he said that there was something up there in the trap, laying on its back. I had a bad feeling about it and begged him to not mess with it. So Bob got up there and picked it up. And then dropped it on the stove. At which point, it came back to life and jumped on the top ledge of the stove. Other Jason grabbed a paper towel and then grabbed the critter. He was almost to the door when the little booger started biting him. Had it been me, I would have gone Incredible Hulk on him and squeezed the life out him, but Other Jason proceeded to fling the thing as far out into the yard as he could. Never fear, he sanitized the bite marks (3) with vodka and neosporin.

We all tried to decide what it was. It was bigger than a mouse, more chipmunk sized, but gray. It had a short tail, but furry like a squirrel. I finally decided that it was half mouse, half lemur and because it was a biter.......a vampire memur.

It tried to come back, but Other Jason went into the yard and scared it up a tree where we believe it died of a heart attack.

Of course, there are more in the cabin. Yay.

By the way, it's a gray squirrel, and it's against the law to kill them. :)

Happy New Year!!

2 comments:

Meli said...

I guess I will have to update soon about the status of the ninja squirrel.....

still no signs of rabies, that's good.....

Just Another Mother said...

WHY is it against the law to kill them? Seems like they are everywhere like a plague.