Monday, June 1, 2009

Jonas' Journal

Back in 2007, I read in article in Newsweek about a man who kept a daily journal for his son. I think it was for 18 years. Anyway, I really liked that idea so I started keeping a journal for my son. His baby book has sections to record the milestones, like smiling and walking, but there isn't a section for the small things, like "when I started wearing deodorant" or "when I got my first chest hair." No, I never wondered when I got my first chest hair, but I do wish I knew when I started wearing deodorant. I think that's when I stopped being a child.

The whole point of this entry isn't deodorant or hair, it's that whenver I get a nice little chunk of free, quiet time (not often) I find myself writing in Jonas' journal rather than blogging, reading or knitting. I don't recognize myself sometimes. And that's okay. In five, ten, fifteen years, having written in that journal will be inifinitely more important to me than knowing that I ever finished the Nora Roberts book that I started reading BEFORE Jonas was born. (FYI...it has taken over a month for me to read a mere 200 pages. I read the last Harry Potter in about 6 hours. Reading a book for over a month is so not me. OK. So it took me roughly 8 years to get through the FIRST CHAPTER of Gone With the Wind. At least I stuck with it. Don't judge.)

3 comments:

Just Another Mother said...

I kept a daily journal. Unforutnately after the first year it was more of a diary, but it still covered Melinda and motherhood in general. It is fun to look back on and I highly recommend it - find at least one quite hour for you even if it is only once a week to jot down even the most insignificant things he does. It will make you smile when you pick it up in 20 years.

JTNOFFSINGER said...

That's a very cool idea. I saw the picture of Jonas and a relative I didn't know. He is uber-cute. I hope you find a moment to sit back and soak him in each day, and also time to rest each night.

volksbloggin said...

Lora, this is a wonderful idea. I'm debating about doing it for Olivia.