Sunday, December 14, 2008

No Mariachis....

So Thursday I did go to the hospital to see Kristi's baby. She's been named LeeAnna.

I almost fell asleep after work on Friday waiting for the parade to start. I re-read last year's blog on MySpace, and I had written that the parade was at 6:40. So at 6:30 I started camping out on the window seat of the guest bedroom upstairs. There's no heat up there so I had on a wool turtleneck sweater, a quilted, flannel coat, my pj bottoms, my slippers, a hat, & no socks (brilliant). I started to panic that the parade had been canceled, but I thought I could hear fireworks going off. I opened the window and leaned out, and yes, there were fireworks! Closer to 7 I could see the police stopping traffic out on the main drag. I think the parade either starts at the Mexican restaurant or at the tienda. I know for sure that it ends at the Catholic church. Anyway, there were no mariachis this year. I'm thinking either it was too cold for them or it cost too much for the parishoners to have them again. I froze my fingers off taking a video that you can't see anything in besides blurry lights. It's posted below, but first I'll describe what I saw. A police car was in lead. Then there was an SUV with an Our Lady of Guadalupe placard between the headlights. Behind that were dancers in some kind of costume making jingling noises. They were followed by mostly women and children singing in Spanish. There was a priest in white robes with a tall scepter thing. I don't think it was the priest from down the street; this guy looked bigger. Then there were the two guys in charge of the fireworks. You can actually see them on the video and hear when they throw something away in our trash can. Glad I didn't pull it back from the curb when I got home. Behind them was a pickup truck. The bed was filled with flowers, pine branches, and palm fronds. There was another Our Lady of Guadalupe placard instead of the huge statue from last year. Then there's a long line of cars. If you watch the whole thing, towards the end you'll hear my phone go off when I got a text from Meli. There were many texts flowing back and forth because I had to share the excitement in the moment with someone! The second video I posted is off the fireworks that they shot off once they got to the Catholic church. I walked outside in my funky outfit to take that one.
I wish I took the first video from my arts & crap room because I think it's closer to what turns out to be the only street lamp on my street (I hadn't noticed before). So the videos are not exciting but I still think they're neat because it's not something you experience everyday. Or even once a year, since I'm still the only person I know who's seen this parade! I'm already thinking about the parade next year, and the best way to record it. I think it might be bigger because it will be on Saturday. I guess we'll find out!
Sorry the videos aren't posted. I'll have to try it again tomorrow. The first one is at least 6 minutes long so it was taking forever to post, and I don't have forever to wait on it right now. Bed is calling. :)

No comments: