I am so excited about today that I've been up since 5:30! I want to make sure that I get to work on time at 7:30 (instead of 9, which is when I usually go in now). Today is the Feast Day of Our Lady of Guadalupe. You can also click here for the wiki entry. Last year I didn't know anything about Our Lady of Guadalupe other than that she's on those big glass prayer candles at the grocery.
I had settled down to watch a movie when I heard a ruckus outside. Being suspicious of all neighbors, I immediately thought my neighbors were having a fight outside. Whatever it was started getting louder so I paused my movie and peaked out the door. It was a marching mariachi band! Followed by a truck with a statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe surrounded by flowers and palm fronds. Then there was a small parade of Ford Mustangs and walkers following with more flowers and palm fronds. (I wonder where they got palm fronds in Kentucky in December?) Jason wasn't home from work, yet, and none of my neighbors saw the parade. I can't believe I was the only witness. I know I shouldn't say this because it means something to the local Mexicans (all Mexicans actually), but the whole thing was really bizarre.
And really neat. Which is why I'm awake and blogging so early. I'm on the edge of my seat, wondering if there will be another parade this year. I want to make sure I'm at home in time to experience it again. I would call the local Catholic church and ask them, but they didn't even know about the parade last year. They just knew about the feast that followed the parade at the church. Well, I'm going to cross my fingers and go get ready for work. Hopefully I'll have happy parade news to report tonight!
Wow! I have the morning news on, and they're reporting that at one of the churches in Louisville, there are over 700 people jammed into the church to celebrate Our Lady of Guadalupe services, and there are more people standing outside celebrating. And if I heard correctly, services started at midnight. Surely, I'll be seeing the marching mariachi band tonight...
1 comment:
oh yay!!!
can't wait to hear about it again
(fingers crossed)
Post a Comment