Thursday, March 10, 2011

Procrastination is the thief of time. -Edward Young

Every year when I decide what to give up for Lent, I try to pick something I haven't given up in the past. Last year I gave up cussing, with a 25 cent penalty for every slip of the tongue. The year before that, when I was pregnant, I gave up ice cream (though some may argue that was my doctor's choice rather than mine). The year before that I gave up using elevators, and since I worked on the top floor of a four story building and needed to move between floors usually while wearing high heels, that was the longest 40 days ever!

I was having a hard time deciding what to give up this year. I really wanted to challenge myself. So I finally decided to give up what I think is my biggest vice- procrastination.

Now, how in the world does a person give up procrastination? I started by putting off answering that question until closer to Lent. Finally the end of February arrived, and I thought I should make a list of all the little and not so little things I keep putting off but really needed to do. And then I decided to wait and make the list on Fat Tuesday. Tuesday arrived, and I was bored so I actually made the list. There's almost 70 things on my Lent To Do List. I became so excited, I gave up procrastination on Fat Tuesday, a whole day EARLY. I mostly did some easy stuff, like weaving in the ends of an entrelac scarf I knit for Renee back in January.

Of course, the real kicker came the next day when I was telling Mom about my Lent To Do List, and she said, "Honey, Lent's next week." I pulled out my phone, looked at the date, and sure enough, I was a whole week early in giving up procrastination. I have a really hard time with this concept, but I believe that's what they call irony. (I think I understood irony in high school and then Alanis Morisette came out with her song that was more about bad luck than irony, and I've been confused ever since.)

Naturally I started with a bunch of easy projects, like making up baby sweaters, weaving in yarn ends, sewing buttons, etc. Everything was going quickly for that first week, and I really felt like I was accomplishing a lot. Now, however, the easy stuff is finished, and I'm left with the things I really don't want to do. Like get the year-old ding in my windshield fixed, have my car detailed, write a will, take donations to Goodwill, write a blog entry about Lent, get my hair trimmed, visit a friend I've been planning on visiting for 9 years. I know it may sound silly that I haven't done or don't want to do some of these things. They're so little (except in the case of visiting Pam because she was in Italy for some of those 9 years, and international travel is a big thing for me). But for whatever reason, I've put them off until they've made this Lent To Do List, and because Lent is the one religious tradition I've always followed whether Methodist, Baptist, or without a church, every one of those things will be taken care of by Easter.

Here are some pictures of some of my Lent To Do's Done's....

Buttons sewn on green baby sweater for a gal at church. My favorite vintage pattern and mint green acrylic from the stash. I actually like acrylic for baby cardigans because it's so easy for a sleep deprived parent to wash.
Purple socks for Renee, which were started last October. Yarn is Malabrigo sock yarn. Don't know the official color.

Finally ordered my new laptop. It arrived yesterday, but I haven't had the chance to look at it thanks to Mr. Grabby Hands who decided yesterday would be a great day to stop taking naps.
First professional haircut for Jonas. After 22 months, he finally had enough hair, I couldn't just trim around the bottom of his hairline. He sat in Grandpa's lap and handled the experience well.
Knit up four of these cozies for a Facebook thing. They are completely finished. I even blocked them, as you can see. Now they are in a pile on the counter waiting to be mailed or hand delivered to the recipients, and yes, that's on the list! (The paint brushes, raisins, and knives had nothing to do with the cozies...) Yarn is Lion Brand Wool. Threw the wrapper away without getting the color. I adapted the cozy pattern out of Knitting With Balls.
Gray socks for Jason. I bought this yarn at the shop in Solvang, CA when we were out there for Meli's & Other Jason's wedding three years ago with the promise of socks for my patient husband. Started these in November. Yarn is Trekking XXL.
I started this tank last April. It's the Sleeveless Tuxedo Shirt by Theresa Schabes in Interweave Knits Summer 2007. I finally knit an adult clothing item that fits, and best of all, fits me! And the only reason I knit this was because I stumbled upon the yarn at The Sassy Knitter in Aiken, SC and snatched it up on sale at $13.85 a skein! (I checked Louet's website today, and the skeins are going for $24.95 now.) I remembered the pattern, and thought, why not? The linen is so soft, and it feels really good against my skin. Yes, the lace panels are not the same size and yes, the parts I crocheted are a bit wonky, and yes, I'll have to search for a different bra to wear with it. But I love it anyway. Yarn is Louet Euroflax Sport Weight, and the color is soapstone.

Entrelac scarf for Renee. This was my first attempt at entrelac. It's really easy once you get going. Yarn is by Noro, but I don't remember which one. It's cotton. I used three balls. I started this in January, and I finished knitting it in a week. Then it got buried under other unfinished projects, and I never wove in the ends. (My great-aunt Esta gave me that painting. It's from 1870 and was painted by a man in Millersburg, KY.)
Blue sweater for my former co-worker Kelly. I just had to make it up, weave in ends, and sew on buttons. Her baby shower is next week so I'll give it to her then. It's blue acrylic. Red Heart Baby, maybe? My house eats ball bands like you wouldn't believe. Now my sofa is eating vintage double point needles!
Bella mittens in a bulky wool from Knit Picks. The color is wallaby. I adapted Subliminal Rabbit's pattern to add a textured hand. I've been wanting to knit this pair for myself for two years. It took forever for me to find the perfect yarn, and then it was always on back order. I started these before Christmas, but left one thumb unknit when I realized I'm not really a mitten-wearer. I decided to finish them and send them to Barb (aka Meli's Mom) because I love her and because I owed her a Facebook craft. :) I actually have sent them off because that's on the list, and she has received them and loves them. Yay!

Same old vintage baby sweater pattern for Amanda in OK. The yarn is from Hobby Lobby. I only remember camouflage being in the name. Again, the ball band vanished. I've had this finished since the beginning of February so I just had to mail it to her.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I am so proud of you!!! What is it about weaving in ends that is just so unappealing?!!? I gave up saying negative things about people. It's hard when I have horrible weeks when everything and everyone annoys the crap out of me all day long, and the venting just starts pouring out of my mouth before I even know what I've said! I'm also praying the rosary every day. Keep updating, I'm going to keep checking in on your Lenten progress!
Also, JONAS IS A GROWN UP!!!! I remember when he was just that roly poly big eyed cuddly baby at the bank! Oh my gosh! He is so adorable, and he looks just like you!