So. Adventure Fridays. Not talking about those today. On Adventure Friday.
Instead, I have to tell you about something really cool about Facebook. You can find relatives you didn't know you had. Like the kinda-distant-but-not-too-distant cousin I have living in Louisville.
Here's how it happened......
Mom said that Philip was on fb now but was only friending people who don't live in the area. On a whim I decided to search for him, just to see. Well, it didn't pull up him, but it did pull up another Philip, only this one was a Phillip in New Zealand. (One "L" vs Two "L's", people.) It also pulled up a Jeanette in NZ, and I friended her and declared her to be a distant cousin although I'm 99.99% sure we're not related even though it's not a really a common last name (at least not in Kentucky). So then I did a search just for our last name, and I somehow accidentally searched just the Louisville network. And that's how I found Muriel, my kinda-distant-but-not-too distant cousin's wife. (By the way, Philip isn't on fb; he's on LinkD or whatever it's called.)
Since then I've found about 500 others with the name on fb, but so far only one besides Muriel that I think could be a relation.
Trust me....when you've grown up in a small town where everyone is related to everyone else except for you and nobody else has your last name besides your mom, dad, and brother (and now sister-in-law), and non of your cousins have the same name because your father was the only son of an only son...all of this is REALLY exciting!
No comments:
Post a Comment