Monday, February 16, 2009

Oh, Roger.

Since the last post, we survived an OB appointment, a windstorm, the Lincoln Luncheon, and labor prep class. I don't have much to say about the windstorm because really, there's not that much to say about wind blowing between 50 and 70 miles per hour besides......not fun.

The OB appointment went well, just like all the others. Dr Preen said I have to start coming in every other week. My next appointment is this Thursday. I have a special appointment elsewhere on Wednesday that I'm keeping a secret until that night. You'll have to come back and see what the big surprise is. I also finally made an appointment with a potential pediatrician, and set up times for all of the classes we're having at the hospital. Now, I just have to keep everything straight.

The Lincoln Luncheon went much smoother this year than last year. Probably because we didn't have to deal with a possible visit from the First Lady or a definite visit from the Governor. Capt Michael Jabaley was the speaker, and he gave a speech about Lincoln and the Navy. He also publicly made fun of my brother for getting seasick on a recent ride on the USS Louisville. Hahaha! (Dad also got sick on that trip, but Delayna was just fine.) The deputy director of the US Mint was also a special guest. The first of the new Lincoln pennies were debuted at the high school. So Hodgenville got the pennies a whole week before the rest of the country. Take that Illinois.

After lunch and finishing the last of our job duties, Jason and I went downtown to the museum. I hadn't been in years, and he'd never been. On the first floor are a bunch of wax figures of Lincoln through the years. I remember back when the museum was going to open, and Dad was in a meeting on the second floor of the museum. The first floor was mostly in the dark, and you guessed it, I was stuck down there by myself with the wax figures. Yeah. It was creepy. However, that didn't prepare me for coming face to face with a figure of Mary Todd Lincoln that looks just like my brother-in-law Freddie. No joke. I knew that he's from the same line of Todds, but how weird is it that the was figure looks like him???

Saturday we celebrated Valentine's Day by getting up early and going to the hospital for labor prep class and a tour of the baby area of the hospital. I wasn't nervous about labor before the class, and I'm really not nervous now. I'm also feeling very confident about not wanting an epidural. I just hope that when I'm doing the breathing techniques I don't burst out laughing like I did in class. Over and over we practiced "ooh ooh eeh eeh ooh ooh eeh eeh." So of course, "Ooh eeh ooh ah ah, ching chang walla walla bing bang" ending up coming out of my mouth a few times, and then I imagined doing that for real during labor and delivery. I think that would be hilarious. Much better than "*%$@#%^& *&%^@!$% &%!%^&#". I think Jason learned a lot about his duties as a birthing coach. He also learned some massage techiniques that he's supposed to practice on me everyday. Yay! Of course, the teacher said that's a two way street, and I also had to learn the techniques to use on him.

The funniest part of the class was the video where we got to watch a baby being delivered. For some unexplained reason, the woman was completely naked. In a room full of nurses, doctors, and cameramen. And she had the funkiest pubic hair. It was quite distracting. Well, the baby's head finally popped out, and she said to her husband in this really dramatic, breathy, soap-opera-like voice, "Oh, Roger. Does it look like a real baby?" The entire class lost it! It was just too funny. I almost peed in my pants.

3 comments:

Meli said...

You pregnant people sure have to so some strange things!

I almost peed laughing at you sticking it to the state of Illinois. That was awesome. I can't wait to see the new penny!

Just Another Mother said...

I can't wait for all of this to be over and to read the birthing blog. If anyone does the Purple People Eater song during Labor it will be you. Maybe Jason needs to record - sound that is!

volksbloggin said...

Oh, that reminds me I need to blog about our childbirth class at the Navy hospital. Thanks making Benny and I laugh.