Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Short Moon

Listening to my local NPR station today, I learned that the full moon in June is called the short moon. I guess the full moon in December is called the long moon, but I had to turn my mind back to work and didn't really hear the rest of the information. Neat, huh?

Also, in case anyone was worried about our dietary health, I did go to the grocery Thursday. I filled up the fridge with some yummy stuff- lots of fish and vegetables. Healthy stuff.

Thursday night we rented a bunch of movies. We watched 'Meet the Spartans' which was very funny in the vulgar, spoof way. (Everything is funny but the penguin. That's just WRONG!) Then we watched 'P.S. I Love You'. We both really liked that one. Definitely see it if you haven't. Friday night we watched 'Lions for Lambs' and 'Superbad.' They were both good, but we didn't love them. 'Lambs' makes you think, so don't watched it if you are tired or in a non-thinking mood. It's the wee hours of Saturday morning now, and we're watching the last of the movies- 'Jumper.' I saved it for last because the woman at the rental store was raving about it. Last time I listen to her. It's very slow. I'm not engaged.

I watched 'The Good Earth' on Comcast On Demand the other night. That was surprisingly good. I trudged through the book earlier this year. I thought it was time I read Pearl S Buck, having gone to the same school as her and all. I'm really glad I read the book first; it gave me a better understanding of the movie. And the movie gave me a better appreciation of the book. I love when that happens.

My birthday was last Sunday (Father's Day). On the Friday before, we had cake at work for Kelly and me. (She's three days older than me, and I remind her nearly every chance I get.) The woman who wrote the words on the cake wasn't very good at spelling. Vicky said the woman was very apprehensive about spelling my name. So the cake came out saying "Happy Birthday, Loro & Kemy." But it was an excellent tasting cake, so Loro & Kemy weren't complaining! Jason & I saw 'Sex and the City' that night, and that was really wonderful. One of the husbands in the theater would say "That's hilarious" after everytime he laughed at something. Now that was hilarious!

Saturday, Jason & I went canoeing with Delayna, Phil, & some of Delayna's friends. We went on the Blue River in Indiana. Yeah, it soooo dangerous. I think the first half of the trip, the water never got deeper than halfway up my thigh. And hardly any current at all. There was a snake in the water at one point, and that was a bit unpleasant. We left him alone. He left us alone. We also saw a deer fawn on the shore, and it wagged its tail when I talked to it. It stayed close to the river long enough we probably could have hurt it, and I was a little concerned that maybe momma deer was going to come flying into the river to attack us. We never saw her. Or the 15 cows that had been chilling in the river according to some people we caught up to. Gotta love nature.

Then we came to the category 5 ripples where Delayna and I bottomed out. I hopped out and pulled us along. Something was really funny about it, because I remember laughing so hard I could hardly pull. Then we got to that thigh-deep water so I started to climb back in. Imagine the next part in slow motion because that's how it happened for me. I got my left leg in, and my right foot slipped on a mossy rock. I fell on my back into the canoe. It started to roll to the side, but I managed to stop the rocking. Unfortunately, I also cracked my head on the crossbeam. I saw stars, for real, and a little bit of blackness. The 20 or so witnesses on the shore called out to see if I was okay (but didn't offer us any help at any point, thank you), and my pride was dented enough that I said I was fine and then we paddled like crazy to get away from them. The rest of our group was so far ahead that Jason didn't even know it happened until 4 hours later. My head is still sore!

I did feel well enough to try out the kayak that the canoe people insisted we rent. I loved it. I don't think I would like one that covered my knees, though.

Sunday Jason, Dad & I went to see the Indiana Jones movie. It was okay. It was really nice to watch a movie with my dad where we didn't have to cringe because we couldn't believe we were watching something cringe-worthy with each other (like, The Black Dahlia or Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story). Then Mom cooked steak and scallops and couscous for dinner. She baked a cherry pie for Dad and a birthday cake for me. And I actually lost 4 lbs over the weekend. Hahaha! Happy Birthday to me!

1 comment:

Meli said...

WE saw people taking kayak lessons this weekend on the canal. they were flipping the people over in the water and the person was supposed to practice righting themselves. when they couldn't they would "tap out" on the side of the kayak and the instructor flipped them back over. Kater and I called it the Drowning School. No thank you!